MythologyMythologyDocumentariesFestivalspersonswarsBeutiful HellasArtFun

12.9.16

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν / aièn aristeúein

Aἰὲν ἀριστεύειν motto, Depicted on engraving at the Boston College

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
aièn aristeúein
“Ever to Excel“

Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824), and Boston College (founded 1863). The source is the sixth book of Homer's Iliad, (Iliad 6. 208) in a speech Glaucus delivers to Diomedes:
"Hippolocus begat me. I claim to be his son, and he sent me to Troy with strict instructions: Ever to excel, to do better than others, and to bring glory to your forebears, who indeed were very great ... This is my ancestry; this is the blood I am proud to inherit."

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Η ΙΣΤΟΡΙΑ ΤΩΝ ΙΑΜΑΤΙΚΩΝ ΛΟΥΤΡΩΝ ΚΑΙ Η ΜΕΤΕΞΕΛΙΞΗ ΤΟΥΣ ΣΕ SPA

Τα νερά των φυσικών ή ιαματικών πηγών είναι νερά, που πηγάζουν μέσα από πετρώματα και βράχους που βγαίνουν από τα έγκατα της γης. Είναι εμπλ...